We Specialize in Web Design for Lawyers
Back in the late 90s, one question we often encountered was “I’m a lawyer…do I really need a website?” The idea of a lawyer without a website is almost laughable now. When working in an industry saturated by the competition, web design for lawyers is essential to help differentiate themselves. Websites are helpful for two main reasons: 1) they educate potential clients about your practice areas, and 2) they engage potential clients on a personal level.
Law Firm Websites as Educational Tools
Your website should be an educational tool for those in need of legal services. PSM Marketing has developed hundreds of law firm websites for attorneys across the nation. Through our experience, we’ve learned that potential clients are inquisitive. Don’t just tell them what services you provide—show them. The best law firm websites include client testimonials, case studies, blog posts, frequently asked questions, informative videos, and myriad other resources. Your website shouldn’t be a stagnant “brochure” of services rendered, rather, it’s an organic resource that’s constantly evolving to meet the needs of potential clients.
One of the biggest mistakes law firms make when it comes to their website is drafting the content themselves. Unless your undergraduate degree was in English or Creative Writing, please don’t write your own content. Lawyers have a tendency to write like, well…lawyers. In many cases, your potential clients will be dealing with a lawyer for the first time. Clients don’t want to hear the intricacies of guardianship and conservatorship rules…they want to hear that you understand their personal situation and will work with them from step one. They want to know that you are a fierce advocate for their legal needs.
Web Design for Attorneys that Engages Potential Clients
Clients care who you are. Do you know what the most consistently viewed web pages on law firm websites are? The biographies. SO many of our clients claim that “no one reads bios” and they consider them “fluff.” This couldn’t be further from the truth. Biographies give potential clients a glimpse into who you are as a person, what you value, and how you operate. Clients like to research their options, hear what past clients have to say, and see tangible results that relate to their situation. Your website is your single greatest asset for engaging potential clients. You don’t want to lose business before they even walk in the door, which is why having a professional, modern website is absolutely critical for lawyers. We encourage lawyers to add the following information to their biographies:
- Summary of your practice areas
- Volunteer activities
- Awards received
- Association activities
- Representative experience (summary of cases or files you have handled in this format: Type of client, summary of the client’s issue, your approach, the solution)
- Client testimonials
- Blogs written
- Articles published
- Presentations given
Your biography should showcase your practice so that prospective clients can really see what makes you unique as a lawyer.
Strong Web Development for Attorneys is Crucial
Have you ever been to a website that was so horrendous it made you cringe? We love websites like that because we see the potential for that site. Components of a strong website include:
- Homepage: This is where the magic happens! Your homepage is your first opportunity to grab the attention of potential clients. What makes your firm unique? Be direct, succinct, and helpful. Your homepage should have a minimum of 900 words of content. Strong web design for lawyers means having a comprehensive homepage.
- Graphics: Website graphics have really evolved in the past 10 years. Believe it or not, clip art and cheesy stock images can actually be a liability when it comes to attracting new business. The photography on your website should be unique, applicable to your practice area, avoid trite and overused graphics (ie the scales of justice), and show clientele representative of real people.
- Biography Pages: Bio pages are the #1 most viewed pages of a website aside from the homepage itself. Make sure your biographies are insightful, detailed, and informative. You might just win the business because you share an alma mater- you never know!
- Calls to Action: Calls to Action, or CTAs, are really important for the flow of your website. What are you calling for visitors to your website to do on your site? Do you want them to contact you for a free consultation, fill out an intake survey, or connect with you on LinkedIn? CTAs help drive action.
- Reviews: Make sure you’re soliciting reviews from past clients. This gives potential clients an insider’s view on working with you.
- Ability to Contact: Make it as easy as possible for potential clients to contact you or your firm. This includes listing your direct and office lines and including each attorney’s email address.
- Social Media: Your website should integrate seamlessly with your various social media profiles (ie Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Instagram).
Responsive Websites for Attorneys
All modern web design for lawyers is responsive. This means that regardless of the device used to view the website, the pages automatically resize and look phenomenal. The majority of website traffic these days takes place on smartphones and tablets, which is why having a responsive design is an absolute must-have. You’ve likely had the experience of visiting a website on your phone only to find that you can’t access the menu and the words are teeny tiny. Responsive websites are optimized for mobile viewing and eliminate that problem altogether.
Secure Web Design for Lawyers
Making sure your website is secure is important for the well-being of your site and your client’s privacy. Many of our clients use online payment gateways that allow clients to pay their invoices directly from their website. This is a phenomenal use of technology that simplifies life for everyone involved. It’s important, however, that your website is secure as possible- especially if you’re accepting online payments.
We recommend that every PSM client have something called an SSL certificate. Additionally, we integrate Google Recaptcha to ensure the submission of web forms is safe and private. When considering a web design for lawyers, we always think about security first.
Interested in Website Design for Attorneys?
PSM Marketing has a team of expert website designers, copywriters, and SEO specialists ready to make your modern website a reality. We understand the unique complexities and ethical considerations necessary for any law firm website and take special care to follow state and local regulations. Your website is often the first thing potential clients encounter when researching law firms. Make sure they like what they see. Contact the legal marketing firm for website development at PSM Marketing to get the ball rolling.