“It’s extremely important to me that clients are able to share what is unique about themselves and their practice. Fully understanding a client and developing a clear strategy for marketing is what brings me so much satisfaction in my work.”
KRISTY L. GUSICK
Marketing can be a special challenge for owners of professional services firms. I know this because I’ve been involved in building several businesses from scratch. I feel fortunate now to be able to leverage my real-life experiences and longstanding professional network to help my clients grow their practices.
Since acquiring my Series 7, 63 and 22 security licenses and launching my career in the financial services industry in 1994, I’ve helped to successfully start two different financial advisory firms from the ground up. As a practice owner, I was able to gain new clients by hosting educational workshops and developing other grassroots marketing initiatives. These experiences taught me a lot about what works—and what doesn’t work—when marketing and growing a business.
As the years went by, I realized what I enjoyed most about my work was growing a business and helping others find success in doing the same. This led me to join Terrie Wheeler as a partner in PSM Marketing, (PSM) in 2012. As a PSM partner, I’ve helped more than 200 firms across the legal, accounting, and financial services industries achieve growth through business development, marketing, sales, and coaching. Thanks to my early-career roles, I know what it takes for an advisory practice to attain and retain clients in a competitive market. I also have deep knowledge of successfully implementing marketing initiatives while meeting a compliance department’s complex requirements.
Remaining updated in the financial services industry is important to me, too, which is why I am an involved member of the Financial Planning Association of Minnesota. I’m a former member of the chapter’s board of directors and a current member of its Public Relations Committee.
While I’m in the business world by day, at night and on the weekends, I remain true to my rural roots. Growing up on a farm in Michigan is where I got my first taste of entrepreneurship – and a love of horses. To satisfy the latter, I live with my husband, two daughters, two cats, one dog, and four horses on a hobby farm in Stillwater, Minnesota. My girls and I have a passion for playing polocrosse with our horses which is a sport similar to playing lacrosse and polo on horseback. During the summer, you will often find us traveling around the country on the weekends competing in polocrosse tournaments. We’re also enjoy being involved in our church, Eagle Brook Church, where we’ve been active members since 1995.
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Human Development, Career Development emphasis, Colorado State University
Having started her own financial services business, Kristy knows what it takes on all fronts to succeed. She also helped build two other successful practices and can easily understand the business owner’s perspective. She has recruited new talent, hosted numerous successful seminars, brought in millions of assets under management and supported other advisors in doing the same. Bottom line – she knows what it takes to be successful in the business world and understands the essential role sales and marketing play in achieving that success.
PSM Marketing’s proven marketing and coaching process coupled with Kristy’s experience is the closest thing to guaranteed success you can find in the sales and marketing coaching world.
With her years of experience in marketing, business development and sales within the professional services industry, Kristy has a developed a vast and powerful professional network that she often leverages to benefit her clients and their business development efforts. With Kristy, it isn’t only what she knows, but who she knows that graces anyone fortunate enough to travel in her circle of influence. Kristy is zealous about meeting new people, nurturing relationships, making connections and creating results. Her personality strengths in these areas empower her work and fuel her desire to help others succeed in business and in life. A competitor in and outside of the office, Kristy takes the same approach to her foxhunting escapades and show-jumping competitions as she does to her client’s growth goals – using tenacity, enthusiasm, discipline and confidence to succeed.
- Currently serves as a strategic marketing and sales coach to financial advisors and other financial services professionals successfully helping them drive new revenue into their practices
- Founded a successful private investment firm that focused on serving retirees; grew the firm and successfully sold the practice for a profit
- Closed business resulting in multi-millions of dollars in assets under management and coached financial advisors on how to replicate Kristy’s process
- Recruited, trained and educated scores of independent investment advisors for a regional investment brokerage firm
- Directed all new business development efforts for an investment firm specializing in private placements such as Tenants in Common 1031 Exchanges, land banking, oil and natural gas energy, and equipment leasing programs
- Held Series 7, Series 63, and Series 22 securities licenses for over 13 years
Kristy has conducted hundreds of client education seminars on financial planning and wealth conservation strategies. As someone who enjoys teaching and coaching professionals, Kristy serves as a catalyst to sales and marketing efforts through her presentations. The following is a synopsis of some the topics she has provides training on.
- What Really Works: High Impact Low Cost Strategies for Accounting Professionals
- SEO for Dummies: Top Strategies for Success
- The Art of Positive Brand Marketing
- Basic Networking: Business Development Training for Young Professionals
- How to Find and Build Key Strategic Partnerships with Other Professionals
- How to Create and Leverage Your Brand
- Becoming a Thought Leader: How to Develop, Find and Share Valuable Content
- Top Ten Tips on Association Involvement for Accounting Professionals
- Stop Being a Commodity – Know and Communicate Your Real Value
- Practice Development Tips to Help You Retire on Your Own Terms
- The Value of Organizing and Tracking your Sales Opportunities
- Turning Contacts into Clients: Implementing a Lead Nurturing System
- How to Identify and Build a Niche for your Practice
- How to Develop and Promote your Personal Brand
Kristy has also presented to many financial services groups locally and nationally on topics including:
- Using Social Media to Develop your Financial Services Practice
- Compliance Requirements for Financial Advisors using Social Media
- How Financial Advisors can use Social Media to Generate New Business
- Best Practices for Financial Advisors to Develop a Solid LinkedIn Profile
- How to use LinkedIn to Become a Thought Leader
- Member and Chair, PR Committee, Minnesota Financial Planning Association, 2013 – present.
Regarding your competitors, there is no comparison. You have been far better than any that I have worked with in my practice.
I believe PSM offers a much more personal approach to our company than other consulting firms. PSM is genuinely interested in making us a better company rather than just getting paid. It helps when working with business consultants like PSM who are indeed interested in the success of our company.
Thank you thank you thank you!!! Your support, encouragement and direction have been great.
Showing genuine concern for the services being marketed – enthusiasm for the marketing plan – and a willingness to listen and to try new things. PSM Marketing possesses all of those traits.
You guys have been so helpful, in not only preparing our marketing materials, but giving us a firm sense of direction for the next year. You have assisted in giving us the confidence to make this a successful year and the first month has shown what an impact you have made.
Kristy’s Top 10 Strengths from The StrengthsFinder™
- Individualization (RB)
- Activator (I)
- Maximizer (I)
- Communication (I)
- Positivity (RB)
- Woo (I)
- Arranger (E)
- Connectedness (RB)
- Empathy (RB)
- Adaptability (RB)
As we all begin to emerge from this pandemic, you may be thinking new client development is going to look completely different than it did two years ago. Although we may not have as many lunch meeting...
During these challenging times many of us are literally wringing our hands wondering how we can maintain our professional relationships while being under a quarantine. And if you’re a person that pr...
For further information on this topic, please join us on our up-coming webinar hosted by author Kristy Gusick called “Toxic Client Relationships: Learn how and When to Disengage” which is schedule...