Terrie: Founder & President
“It invigorates me to see quantifiable results from our work with clients. It is so rewarding to help clients meet – and in many cases exceed – their revenue goals. At PSM we have a philosophy we stick to: strategy before tactics. It works every time!”
TERRIE S. WHEELER
Founder and President
Many people have a part-time job while in high school: flipping burgers, working at the mall, selling tickets at the movie theater. I did, too, and my job was a bit different: A disc jockey on a real radio station in Anoka, Minnesota, KTWN AM-1470. Not only was it fun, but I learned how to relate to my audience. Now, I help attorneys and other professionals relate to their clients.
I’ve been working in and with law firms and attorneys since 1985. In 1997, I saw several unfilled business development and marketing needs in other service professions and leveraged my 12-year legal marketing career by launching Professional Services Marketing, LLC (PSM).
Our focus is two-fold: We deliver an outsourced marketing department to firms of all sizes and business development coaching for individual attorneys and practice groups. Our clients are primarily in the legal and financial services industries, but we also work with other professionals and service companies in other industries.
Prior to founding PSM, I headed the marketing department at three of Minnesota’s largest law firms. My staff and I led all business development efforts for the entire firm as well as for practice groups and individual lawyers. I created, implemented, and managed highly targeted and results-oriented marketing strategies.
I’m asked frequently to speak at meetings of professional associations such as the American Bar Association and various state bar associations. I have more than 20 years of experience doing CLE presentations, facilitating retreats, and lecturing at law schools.
I am also a prolific writer on law marketing issues and opportunities. Every month, I write a column on “How-To” business development tips for Attorney at Law Magazine, syndicated in over 20 markets across the country. I am also an ongoing contributor to the American Bar Association’s GP|Solo e-Report.
When not coaching attorneys, or helping to manage our client’s outsourced marketing departments, I love spending time with my husband of 30 years, Jim. We have over 40 acres of paradise just one hour north of the Twin Cities. In winter, there’s plenty of space for us to snowshoe or commune with nature by the fire pit. When I was in school, I was a ballet skier (which is like ice dancing but on skis) and I still enjoy schlossing downhill. But even I need a break from the northland’s cold! I try to hit a Caribbean beach every year or two for the warm sun and the opportunity to bond with fish through my snorkel goggles.
- Master of Arts Degree, summa cum laude, Business Communications, Graduate School of Business, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Master of Arts Certificate in Public Relations, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minnesota
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, magna cum laude, Organizational Management and Communications, Concordia University in St. Paul, Minnesota
Terrie’s recent articles include:
- How to Create Your 2017 Marketing Plan—Pillar IV: Staying Top-of-Mind with Contacts: Targeted and Effective Communication Strategies, American Bar Association, GPSolo eReport, August 2017
- How Marketing Coaching Can Put You On the Fast Track to Growth, Attorney at Law Magazine, August 2017
- How Smart Marketing will make your Sales Efforts Easier, Attorney at Law Magazine, July 2017
- Creating Invoices Your Clients Want to Pay, Attorney at Law Magazine, June 2017
- The 4 Pillars of Marketing: Use Them to Grow Your Practice, Attorney at Law Magazine, May 2017
- How to Create Your 2017 Marketing Plan—Pillar II: Sales Strategies for Lawyers (I Didn’t Go to Law School to Be a Salesperson), American Bar Association, GPSolo eReport, April 2017
- If Revenue is Down, Don’t Panic: Tips to Get you Back on Track, Attorney at Law Magazine, April 2017
- Want to Impress? Dress Like a Successful Lawyer! Attorney at Law Magazine, March 2017
- Terrie was quoted in a business article entitled, A Lawyer for $17.17: Local Firm Finds Ways to Complete with Online Law Biz, Twin Cities Business Magazine, Reported by Liz Fedor, March 1, 2017
- How to Create your 2017 Marketing Plan – Pillar I: Retain and Grow Relationships with Clients and Referral Sources, American Bar Association, GPSolo eReport, February 2017
- Driving New Business Through Strategic Referrals: It’s a Two-Way Street, Attorney at Law Magazine, February 2017
- New Year, New Website! Is Your Website Delivering New Clients to You?, Attorney at Law Magazine, January 2017
See Legal Industry Articles for all of Terrie’s articles.
Terrie is actively involved in helping educate lawyers on the ethics of marketing a law practice. Her involvement includes:
- MN Supreme Court Appointee, Vice Chair, Executive Committee, Lawyers Board of Professional Responsibility, May 2016 – present
- Chair, District Ethics Committee (DEC) Committee, Lawyers Board of Professional Responsibility, January 2016 – present
- Minnesota Supreme Court-Appointed Member, Search Committee for the Director, Office of Lawyers Professional Responsibility, 2015 – 2016
- Executive Committee, Board of Directors, Lawyers Board of Professional Responsibility, 2011 – present
- Investigator and Screening Committee Member, Hennepin County Bar Association Fourth District Ethics Committee, served for four years
- Past Chair, Minnesota State Bar Association’s Marketing and Client Service Section, served for two years
Being able to help prepare new lawyers for life in private practice motivates and inspires Terrie. She is currently teaching marketing and client service at three law schools:
- University of St. Thomas Law School, Adjunct Faculty Member, presenting marketing and client service programming for third year law students, 2012 – present
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law, Adjunct Faculty Member, The Business of Lawyering course, 2012 – present
- University of St. Thomas Law School, CLE Presenter, created a four-part marketing program on marketing best practices for lawyers, 2014 – 2015
- Marquette University Law School, Guest speaker, Ethical Marketing Strategies for New Lawyers, 2014 – present
What Clients Say About Terrie…
Thank you, Terrie! I realized this morning that I WILL be successful because I have you helping with my marketing; something I did not have when I went out on my own the first time or at my current firm. THANK YOU, for putting my mind at ease!...Read More
Thank you, Terrie! I realized this morning that I WILL be successful because I have you helping with my marketing; something I did not have when I went out on my own the first time or at my current firm. THANK YOU, for putting my mind at ease!Read Less
I have really enjoyed working with Terrie and developing my marketing skills. Good job. By the way, who does your legal work?
PSM marketing has been a wonderful resource for me in my small solo practice. They helped me to focus my marketing efforts and taught me the best approaches to my business. Also, they assisted me in launching the most beautiful, and more impo...Read More
PSM marketing has been a wonderful resource for me in my small solo practice. They helped me to focus my marketing efforts and taught me the best approaches to my business. Also, they assisted me in launching the most beautiful, and more importantly EFFECTIVE website which has increased my exposure greatly. They always go the extra mile. Their attention to detail is impeccable and customer service unmatched. PSM is the best service out there for small firms, I would highly recommend them.Read Less
We have been using PSM for years in connection with marketing the Firm’s practice. The return on this investment has been fantastic, whether it is based on increased revenues, penetration into new markets, or generally increasing the Firm’s pro...Read More
We have been using PSM for years in connection with marketing the Firm’s practice. The return on this investment has been fantastic, whether it is based on increased revenues, penetration into new markets, or generally increasing the Firm’s profile in our market, which is contingent fee employment litigation. PSM, and Terrie Wheeler in particular, are responsive, creative, and truly understand and then partner with their clients to develop and execute a state-of-the art marketing and communications strategy, all while being very cost-sensitive. PSM’s depth of experience in the legal field, ability to develop and maintain a terrific website presence, social media marketing, individualized attorney marketing within the larger Firm goals, and ability to generate case-specific publicity through effective media relations and communications, is truly extraordinary. PSM has been a real catalyst assisting my Firm’s growth, and has become an indispensable partner in building this business.Read Less
What a terrific group! It took me some time before I was willing to accept that I needed their advice on marketing, but I am so glad that I did. Within 12 months, I saw a 50% increase in origination of new clients. I also improved the type of c...Read More
What a terrific group! It took me some time before I was willing to accept that I needed their advice on marketing, but I am so glad that I did. Within 12 months, I saw a 50% increase in origination of new clients. I also improved the type of clients that were calling for legal services (that is, sophisticated users of legal services). I may have already had the legal skills, but PSM helped me build a successful practice. They are fantastic.Read Less
I began working with Terrie Wheeler at PSM when my law practice was already busy and doing well. I wanted to keep the momentum of my firm going and grow what I already had, which was a dynamic, busy divorce and family law practice. Terrie conti...Read More
I began working with Terrie Wheeler at PSM when my law practice was already busy and doing well. I wanted to keep the momentum of my firm going and grow what I already had, which was a dynamic, busy divorce and family law practice. Terrie continues to help me grow my firm by providing positive, practical coaching to help me reach my goals. Whether you are starting out or an experienced attorney whose law practice is doing well, PSM’s law firm marketing services will add value to your business.Read Less